Last week we learned of a new idea that involves the internet and could be useful in the classroom. This was podcasts. I personally have never used a podcast before but found it very interesting to learn about them. Podcast stands for "ipod + broadcast". You can podcast through audio, visual, or both.
I think that this can be a very useful thing to use in the classroom. If a student missed a lot of classes and needs to catch up, he/she can just listen to a podcast while the teacher works with the rest of the class. The podcast must be interesting and engaging for the student to learn. This also helps visual and audio learners.As a fun project you can also have students make an educational podcast and present it to the class.
Some downsides of this is that podcasts are not always factually correct. Also it might take a lot of time to find one that is not only factually correct but also fun to watch and easy to understand. Also assigning podcasts as projects could results in a moss of class management since many students might fool around with the idea.
For me I might use this idea in the future for my students. That is if I have any time to really research a good podcast to use.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sort of on the same page as you. Podcasts sound like a good idea in theory, but how do you manage to choose an effective one that contains no mistakes? It seems like it would take a lot of research and time to find a quality podcast on a topic that might only have been one lesson, so would it really be worth it? I'm thinking it may be effective for the more difficult topics that are more conceptual in nature, but it would be unpractical to use daily with every topic you go over. So I'm not sure if it would be an effective strategy to help absent students catch up, since we all have absent students daily.
ReplyDelete