Friday, February 6, 2009

Website Evaluation

In class yesterday we learned about website evaluation. To be very honest this was very informative because there are many websites out there that are not valid websites. As a teacher it is very important to educate my children sbout these "fraudulant" websites. Many times I will have my students search the web to find out inofrmation for a topic I am teaching in class. Most of my students will believe whatever they come accross, especially if it only took them a second to find it. Most of my students would like to lake as little time as possible to complete an assignment. Educationg them on the whether or not a site is useful might take them a little more time to find, but a lot less time then having to redo their work based off of a faulty site.

One thing I will teach my students are the 5 w's. These are who, what, where, when, and why. If these questions can be answered then most likely it is a valid site. Also do a biography check on the author. Researching the author says a lot about the website.

Finally I would like to add that learning about website evaluation was very helpful for my own research. I must admit that I am a victom of trusting any website I came accross. This mostly had to do with the fact that I hate spending time searching around the web. Now as an educator I know I have to be a good model for my students. This means I must do what I expect from my students. So now I am a new person when it involves searching the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment