Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wikis

Wikis is a very interesting thing. What it does is allows other people to add or edit content to the webpage. Multiple people could state facts or opinions on a single website. One example of this is wikipedia which is an online encyclopedia.

This can be used in many forms in the classroom. You can have your students make a vocabulary list with definitions. Each student could add on x amount of vocabulary words and their definition. You will get an extensive class vocab list in which everyone has participated in. You can also put up a word problem in parts and have different people solve each part. This way everyone can see what you added. Thirdly you can have a group story and have each student add a piece of the story on the wiki.

Before I read about this I have always heard of wikis but never had any clue what it was. Now that I know what it is I think I will use it in my classroom as a group assignment.

3 comments:

  1. I read your idea about using a wiki as an online vocabulary list and I really like that. It would be great to use a wiki to create and online, interactive word wall. I think I am going to try and use that as a review for my final or start fresh with one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a fantastic idea as well! If I can gather the courage to try to explain the directions for using wikis to my students, I absolutely will integrate them into my classroom to supplement lessons. It would be amazing to include real life examples and cross-curricular connections to make the vocabulary terms more understandable to my students.

    Great suggestion Janna!

    ReplyDelete