So my school is registered to this website called brainPOP. It is a cute website that has small video streamings for different topics in all subject areas. I like to use this site as a motivational piece. The students get interested by the cartoons and characters, which gets them hooked into the lesson quicker. The videos also try to link the topic wo something in everyday life. If the students start off interested then they tend to have a better chance to stay interested throughout the lesson.
Heres my problem though. I do not have an projector in my classroom that will allow me to show these videos largly to the whole class. Instead I must show it on a small computer and have the students huddle around to watch. The problem with this is the students in the back might not be able to see and will get bored. Other times I might have selected students watch the brainpop video while others do separate work. The problem with this also is that students get upset when they cannot go to the computer, even if they get a chance the next day.
As much as I love learning about all this new technology that I can use for my students, I still am facing the problem of the access to the computer. Not all students can be near the compter and others cannot operate it well. I will still be trying to experiment with ways to use technology. Hopefully if my website comes out good I can use it for next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know what you mean about accessibility. But really in a few years I don't think it will even be an issue. So for now I at least am trying to gather helpful sites (thanks social bookmarking presentation) and at least introducing my students to websites they can use-- sharing my email with them, sending links to kids who request them. Yes, for now it is slow implementation but I think it is really valuable to learn what we can now and use it later when all kids have internet access in school.
ReplyDelete